Monday, February 18, 2008

2nd hand smoke

Situation
In Singapore, and probably also in many other countries, more and more places are out of bound for smokers to smoke.

Problems
When smokers can't smoke at static locations, they smoke while walking. Previously, non-smoker like me who hate 2nd hand smoke can choose not to be near places with smokers. Now, how should I react when walking behind a smoker on a path? ...

Solutions
None yet.

My views
A rationale for implementing non-smoking restrictions on many places is because these are public places, such as eating places, bus stops, etc. Another criteria is when the space is small and enclosed where one cannot easily "escape" out, such as in a lift.

A pedestrian path is a public place, but it is not enclosed, and it is in the outdoor where the 2nd hand smoke concentration would be low. Thus, smoking is not banned here by the above reasoning.

However, when I am walking behind someone smoking at similar speed along a relatively narrow path, I feel like I'm trapped in a space with 2nd hand smoke for some non-negligible period. This is similar to being in a lift with someone smoking. However, unlike in a lift, where I can just hold my breath for a couple of seconds till the door open, it is not easy to do that along a walking path. First, it is more difficult to hold my breath when walking. Second, it usually last longer than a couple of seconds.

Thus, the choices are:
(1) Over take the person in front. However, what if the smoker is walking quite fast, or the path is quite narrow, or what if there are a bunch of them in front?
(2) Halt or slow down till a good distance away from the smoker. However, this means I suffer a lost of time. Also, what if there are also another smoker behind me? Furthermore, this is similar to stopping the lift half way to go out while the smoker go ahead first.

Thus, although the space on a path is not small and enclosed, it has almost the same effect if you happens to walk behind or around people smoking while walking.

Should we call for disallowing people to smoke while walking on public paths, especially those that are narrow or with overhead cover.

No comments: